logo flap

I have read with interest the various comments on R*****o B******i's letter
to Colin Verrilli about the use of the logo and the brand name A**a R***o
being stricly forbidden, unless officially authorized by F**t A**o S*A, owner
of the afforsaid brand name A**a R***o. I understand the point several
contributors made, that a copyright owner is obliged to protect his copyright
by not allowing free use to others.

I also understand Colin's statement that "I didn't really appreciate the
threatening tone". I don't believe there is anything in copyright law which
madates incivility.

Still, a company gotta do what a company gotta do. In the July 1992
"Velocissima" Fred Di Matteo published an editorial comment that owners were
risking expensive engine damage if they waited until 50,000 miles, as
recommended, before changing their timing belts, and that he, Fred,
recommended no more than 30,000. Riccardo Brugnoli, then ARDONA's Director of
Service, took strong exception to Fred's comments in a letter published in
the September "Velocissima", expressing concern about the impressions
customers might get that premature timing-belt failure was a risk. The
discussion went on, a large part of Fred's points being that if ARDONA
insisted the belts were good for 50,000 miles they should at least pick up
the tab for engine damage resulting from belt failure between the end of
warranty coverage and the end of ARDONA's stated belt life. Of course, they
didn't, and Fred, in the interest of peace and harmony, let the question
expire, all sides having been aired.

The current incident reinforces my long-standing opinion that there is a
world of difference between the former Alfa Romeo company, which manufactured
cars (however flawed) which garnered my affection, and the Fiat company,
which uses the name of that former company as a brand-name for one of its
product lines- however excellent it may be. And why I am not among those
pining for the return of that purchased brand name to this market. I will
make my Alfa Romeos last as long as I can, and then move on.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.