Re: Velocity stacks?

I visited Ingrams web page and noticed these Velocity stacks (air inlet
"trumpet" shaped tubes ) connected to the manifold.

I know that running without the air filter around the block for a test spin
the engine feels stronger (more responsive). I understand some people use
them permanently.
Won't they destroy the engine (dust/sand/salt grit) into linners.

Are they for racing only and short use or can they be installed with a foam
filter.

Where can I get them. I have seen them in Weber type carburated engines also.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Al
74gtv