Premium Fuel?

According to the alfa CD, it is possible to run the car on regular
unleaded if you change the device that looks like a relay colored Yellow
on the Motronic unit, and replace it with a similar one, but Sky Blue.
This is on page 8 of Fuel, Air Supply, & Exhaust for those who have the
CD. Anybody have any experience doing this? I assume what that device does
is change the timing slightly.
I had always seen 98 Octane in Europe, and I guess that is because they
only give the Research octance number(R.O.N.), whereas Pump octane number
(indicated in the U.S) is an average of the RON and the Motor Octane
Number. Ron is generally about 5 higher than PON, meaning that premium in
europe is actually about the same.

karl
'91 164L (just painted Yellow; shall post pictures)