Tire pressure with plus one sizing

In the hot air department, I can be counted on to chime in.

I notice that the specified tire pressures for my recently acquired SAAB
9000 Aero with 205/55x16 tires are about 5 psi higher than the spec for the
195/65x15 tire specified for the same car in other versions, no weight
differences, and when fitting 195/65x15 winter tires to the Aero, the
smaller tires are also spec'd with the lower pressure. I infer that the
lower profile tire benefits from higher pressure, when used on the same
vehicle. I suspect that one could easily prove this geometrically, if one
remembered how to do high school geometry, perhaps calculus would make it
easier.

If the new plus one or plus two tire/wheel combo has the same rolling
diameter (as it should if done correctly) then the wider tire with the
shorter sidewall should have a larger internal volume. As the car is held
up by the deformation of the tire at the ground, and this deformation is
proportional to the initial tire pressure, then the change in volume of the
larger tire will represent a smaller proportion of the total tire volume. A
higher initial pressure will be required to ensure that the proper tire
profile is maintained at the contact patch when the tire deforms by the
correct amount to support the car. The actual area of the contact patch
should be approximately the same for each tire choice, the shape will be
different, the lower profile tire having a shorter, wider patch.

How much extra pressure would depend on the tire construction and the
precise difference in volume between the stock tire and the plus one or two
tire, the manufacturer of the tire will have the best information and this
will probably relate to the weight and distribution thereof rather than the
model of car.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada