Re:Difficult to restart hot AD #1359

I would like to thank for all your advice. I will do all the checks
suggested although I am afraid of messing with carburretors.

I can definitely remember, that there was gas smell as I was unable to start
the car first time, because I got out of the car.

I checked my plugs recently and the insulator were pretty light,
maybe too light. Can this speak against flooding ?

On the other hand my fuel consumption is about 14 litre in the city (most 10km rides)
that's about 17 US mpg. I am very light with the throttle.
The car runs well although not excellently. This seems too much.

I was told that Alfa 2000's are prone to flooding by my friend. Is this true ?

My 1600 is much different in behaviour.

> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:30:43 +1300
> From: "Mark Battley" <m.battley@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re:Difficult to restart hot
>
> Juraj wrote:
> >>This problem occurs when I try to start hot engine after it was off at
> >>for least few minutes.
> >>If it is off for just few seconds there is no problem.
>
> I have had exactly the same behaviour with my Dellorto equipped 2000 GT
> Veloce, and like Juraj it caused me some embarrassment soon after I bought
> the car.
>
> So far we have had suggestions of mixture, carb balance, timing, dwell, and
> plug gaps, boiling fuel and vapour lock. I don't think that it is boiling
> fuel or vapour lock: the carbs are on big thick rubber mounts, and symptoms
> (including smell) are of flooding: last ditch cure is to open up the airbox
> for a few minutes to let excess fuel evaporate off.
>
> Get the overall state of tune right: Mine improved significantly with new
> points, plugs, dist cap and a new battery (which was tired anyhow), check
> your timing and idle mixture as well. I don't really understand why, but it
> does seem to be prone to flooding in the situation you describe. I wonder if
> a too high fuel level in the float chambers could be a cause, I think that
> mine is worse is parked with the RH side of the car downhill which would
> fit, and the airbox always seems to be quite damp when I've checked in that
> situation. But the float settings seem to be okay.

I will use electronic distributor from my 1600 in this 2000.
The battery is OK. I could also swap plugs.

There was also suggestion that starting device could contribute to too much fuel.

How does it work ? I have choke lever in cabin. The carbs are DellOrto DHLA
and the choke cable is acting upone 2 small levers on the carbs.

It is working pretty weird - on both my cars. Either it has no effect
or I get 2000 to 3000 idle speed.

- --
Juraj Lanyi, Slovakia, Europe (Wild wild East)
jlanyi@domain.elided

85 red AR116.50 Giulietta, 1600, 140tkm, no mirrors, no rear bumper
84 red AR116.50 Giulietta, 2000, 196tkm, 1 nice mirr., ugly rear bumper
82 brown FIAT 131 Supermirafiori 1400TC, 155tkm