164 starter problems

One day she started and ran normally, (i.e. wonderfully!) and the next day
wouldn't start.  The starter turns slowly, maybe 200rpm, and sounds
labored.  Jumping off another battery didn't change anything.  All other
electronics operate normally.

Checking the ignition shows a fat, blue 10mm spark.  Plugs are a bit wet
from start attempts.  (164 discussion group reply suggested checking the
fuel rail for diagnosing non-start.  Good idea, but wet plugs suggest that
fuel supply isn't the problem.)

I've had starter solenoids fail or the starter motor quit outright, but
this apparent partial failure is odd to me.  The starter is also a PITA to
remove!  Removing the rear exhaust manifold appears to be a minimum.  What
else must be removed?  For that matter, what's the best way to get at the
exhaust manifold?  Would probably have given up and taken her into the shop
if they didn't already have a week and a half waiting list.

thanks,
Robert Hardwick, Seattle (~45F & sunny & I'd rather be on the slopes than
under this car!)