Re: alfa-digest V7 #1379

In a message dated 02/22/2000 2:41:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< With the weather going to hit 60 degrees tomorrow, I would like to put the
 top down on my Spider.  Any tips or advice for a first time Spider owner?  I
 am mainly concerned about the metal frame ripping the top as it's being
 folded or stored.  Also, how far does the top fold down into the back
 storage area?  Is the top suppose to be flush with the trunk, or raised
 above the trunk a little?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

I assume you mean 60F?

The top is supposed to be down at about 45F; that is why the heat is so
wonderful!  And if it's really blustery, you can also lift the windows as you
blast the heat!

Try to avoid folding the plastic window if it's truly cold because it can
become brittle.  60F shouldn't bother it. (Did anyone mention never to clean
it with anything besides H2O to extend clear life?)

When stowed, the top folds neatly but it does protrude just a small amount
above the trim surrounding the bodywork.  This is a feature, somehow.  If you
have a manual, it has words and pictures about the top and the boot.

MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THE FOLDING MECHANISM.

It is very unlikely the top fabric will get caught in the frame, which is of
High Quality Superior Design and made by former Royal Armorers.  If you have
had a British top, please try to forget everything you thought you knew.

Putting the top down and up is so easy a child can do it.  If you have
trouble, find a child to help you.

You can actually put the top down, and even up, from the driver's seat at a
red light in emergencies.

On my green spider, the passenger side clamp had to be closed first when
putting the top up; on the new white one, the driver's side clamp must be
closed first.  Perhaps this is because the green one was mine and I am right
handed, and the white one is my BW's and she is wrong handed.

Open the windows before putting the top down or up.

There is a formula to figure out how hard it must be raining before you can't
outrun the drops and must put the top up; alas, I'm not smart enough to know
it.  If you wear glasses, you will just know.  It's like an Italian tune-up.

Enjoy!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

More heavy rains blowing in now!  What is this, Seattle?