Noise on Milano's

I have heard a number of Milano's both 3.0 and 2.5s that make a faint deep
down rapping noise at Idle.   It seems like it is emanating from the rear of
the block.   However, noises can travel so it is hard to place.   The cars I
have heard this noise on have not been high mileage and the noise has been
on both 3.0 and 2.5L motors.

Rather than the rod bearing I would say that it may be a piston slap.
None of the cars that I have seen have exhibited poor oil pressure which
might suggest  worn rod bearings.

Any other thoughts?  I know on one of the 4 cylinder engines I rebuilt
(non-alfa) the rear piston skirt took a beating, probably due to excessive
heat.

Steve