82 GTV6 faster in 4th?

I blew a fan belt with spectacular visual effects trying to coax top speed
out of my 82 GTV6 (or was it an 81?). Some time earlier, I think I reached
205 km/hr indicated, in fifth, under circumstances that allowed me to
believe that was it. This was at 4,000 feet elevation (1,300 meters give or
take) so the engine would be down on power. I don't think fourth would have
helped at this point, but I did try some time later a little lower and in
winter and was at 190 and still accelerating mildly in fifth when the
downshift caused the fan belt to override the pulley, getting knifed
cleanly when the clutch went back in, with a bang as I recall!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner