Re: RE: USA taste and import restrictions

First of all, there is no need, and it is quite childish,
to insult someone like this.  Discussing cars is one thing
(Ford vs Chevy), or (Alfa vs the US).. but please try to be
a civil person.. or keep it offline.  There is no need to
insult people personally..  I've seen it happen a lot on
this digest.. and there is no need.

>     You really should learn something about the modern age of the auto
> industry. US cars rank far above European cars in terms of long term quality

<snip>
I've worked in the auto industry for a few years.. how
about yourself?

> Don't you realize that they turned these companies around. Especially Ford,
> Jaguar would have gone under. Ford brought quality control to them & Aston
> Martin. You no longer hear jokes about the unreliability of Jags anymore

I commend them for that.  However, the expert you may be,
you might realize that Ford Europe and Mazda do a huge
amount of work for Ford.. Much of car design is being
phased out from Ford N. American engineering.

> Of course GM has Opel doing it, it makes sense to have someone based there
> doing the job of designing cars for that market. GM has been ahead of the
> curve for years, explain why most European manufacturers now have design
> studios in North America for the North American market? They are following
> GMs lead in reverse.

Opel is in Germany.  They are doing the bulk of design for
the World.  This is their base?  Ahead of the curve?
This is a recent event.. to survive globally.  You think
Buicks or Oldsmobiles sell outside of N. America?
Oh yes, the advanced GM.  I love their amazing cars.. I
really do...  This is really amazing to hear such
loving praise of General Motors.  And you like Italian
cars????

> My God you really don't know what you are talking about do you? Have you ever
> been to Europe or Asia? Or just read about them in books & magazines? These

"My God", eh?
I've been to Europe and Asia more times than I can count.
This above comment.. I almost have to laugh when I read it.
How can you say this to someone that you do not even know?

> selection are limited compared to what is available in the US. These
> countries are heavily taxed and stifle competition for the entrenched powers.
> Name a young upstart company from any country outside of the US that is
> setting the world on fire and driving the competition?

hahaha.. this kind of talk is what make people outside
of the US like us so much as a people.. thanks!

Oh yes, the rest of the World.. those poor non-American souls.
I have friends here from Asia that are dying to be someplace
where they have real products to select from.  They simply
consider life here rough... from lack of basic products to a
good selection of cars.  Same things for friends here from
Europe.  Can you believe they want to return to those horrid
places?!?  No.. neither can I...

> I had the same views as you did, but that was in the 1970s when they were
> valid. Today they are not. Remember the US is the largest market in the
> world, outselling all Western European countries combined for the total
> number of cars sold each year. Same with Asia, the only 2 markets that will
> surpass the US are China & India and that won't be for at least another 20
> years.

Yes, what an amazing place.  I think Luca made a good point,
that everyone has to look a bit beyond patriotism.  You attack
me because I said something about the land of liberty's cars.
(you really want to defend GM and Ford cars to that end??)
I blasted a couple huge US car companies.. What do
you care?  Enough to blast someone personally..???!?
(if so, they got you in their pocket.. and you should be
doomed to drive a Buick Century until your end..hehe)
Come on..

Just be civil (patriotism is only good at hindering this).
They are just cars in the end (bad US cars doesn't mean
that you, as an American, are also somehow bad).

take care,
(and give a name..)

(ps. take the discussion offline if it has to continue
 to be so .. 'heated'..hehe)

Ryan
Saab 900 2.0 16v Turbo
Alfa Romeo 75Q 3.0 V6