164 speedo on the fritz after a high speed cruise

Had a nice cruise to Charlotte from Asheville, NC, this weekend. Minus a
visit by Johnny Law, telling me to appear in court to face an 80 in a 65
citation, everything was fine. The whole time I was thinking, thank goodness
he didn't get me two mile back when i was doing 135. Interesting thing
happend after that, though. I don't know exactly at what point this
happened, but my speedo is now about 15mph short of acual velocity. On the
way back home what was probably 80-85 was just around 62. So the problem
gets worse at higher speeds. What the heck did I do? I hadn't been at high
speed in a while. Did the speedo sender freak out with all that speed going
on? Where do I start looking? This is kind of funny, but annoying at the
same time... Thanks all!
Mark