Re: colorful Michelins? (no Alfa content)

In a message dated 2/18/00 11:49:06 AM Central Standard Time,
Andrew.Watry@domain.elided writes:

<<  Michelin
 "Scorcher" (?) colored tires in SF, and asking Michelin to pay the clean-up
 costs of removing the colorful burn-out rubber from the city streets.  Are
 these tires  for real?  >>

B.F. Goodrich Tires is promoting a new line of colored tires called the
Scorcher, which promotional videos say will allow drivers to leave a near
rainbow of skid marks on the road.

Law enforcement officials say that they worry that the red and blue tires
will be used by gangs to mark their turf and insult their rivals. Some
critics accuse Goodrich of catering to gang members and encouraging dangerous
driving.

"This is irresponsible. Believe me, leaving the mark in red and blue is very
important to gang culture, and they are feeding right into it," said Frank
Morales, former head of the Mission District Task Force in San Francisco. "I
can promise you these (tires) will be popular with gangs. You're going to see
red and blue rubber burns all over the Mission."

Oh well.

John Katos