Re: fuel economy

In terms of US models, the last Spiders probably did the best, with
the early Spica cars a close second. The thing to remember about the
older carbed models is that evaporative emissions were significant.
Every time you restarted the car, the fuel pump would have to refill
the carb to replace all the gas that evaporated away. Even the 1 bbl
downdraft 1300's still evaporated gas. The dual Webers were worse.
Trust me, the air in Los Angeles in the early 1970's WAS unfit to
breathe.

Of course, the US models are hardly representative of the majority of
Alfa's production. Fuel costs being higher elsewhere made for tiny
engines that got better mileage. How about those boxer engines? Did
they get the best overall? Diesels are a completely different story.
As the question was about GAS mileage, I would leave out the oil
burners. It's a different chemistry...

If it stinks, it's Chemistry.
If it's disgusting, it's Biology.
Everything else is Physics. ;=)