Stub Axle Removal

Hi Folks,
Can someone please advise me of the correct tool and method
for the removal of the stub axles in Alfetta/GTV6/75/Milano/90 cars?

The problem seems to be: how to undo the ball joints/tie rod ends
without breaking something?  I am concerned that if I pound too
hard on the ball joint removal tool (looks like a tuning fork), I will
wreck my reconditioned steering rack, ball joints, etc. I wish to
avoid buying new ball joints, if at all possible.

Background information: I am upgrading the suspension and
various driveline parts on my Alfetta GTV 2000. I have already
removed the de Dion and installed a GTV6 version, including
half-shafts/CV joints. I also installed SuperPro bushes, where
available. I have purchased some GTV6 stub axles/hubs/rotors
and am about to replace the front brakes. I also have four 15x6"
GTV6 wheels. I installed 3 new giubos yesterday and dropped
off the driveshaft for balancing (in one piece) this morning. I plan
on installing the driveshaft this weekend and if time permits,
make a start on the stub axle replacement. I promise to send a
report here when it is back on the road. As I have already spent
thousands on parts, I wish to finish the upgrade myself. This is
so I can learn this job - which I have not performed before, and
also to save AU$500 which I was quoted. Any hints appreciated.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Robert Jones,
Sydney, Australia
1979 Alfetta GTV 2000