grease and stuff

Simon Favre responded to my post on greasing wheel bearings:
>Why don't manufacturers design wheel bearing areas so you can grease
>them with a grease gun? Seems it would be easy to do on paper and make
>routine servicing more likely.

- --I work on helicopters for a living and having come from that
background  I can say  that every issue you brought up has been solved
already.
This would not be a good idea. Grease fittings are used where the goal
is to pack the cavity to capacity under hydraulic pressure from the
grease gun.
>This is not true, there are hundreds of applications in aviation where
many types of bearings are purge lubricated with a grease gun.
If wheel hubs had grease fittings, every ham fisted grease
monkey in the world would fill the hubs all the way, which would not
be a good thing. Grease would pour out and probably slick up the brakes.

>You can control the direction the new grease flows, have it go from the
inside to outside where that dome-cap thing is, wipe out the excess and
put the cap back on. The inside already has a seal.

Putting grease directly into the bearing would require having a hole in
the outer race, which could cause it to crack under load.
>Just have it flow from one side to the other. Instead of in the middle
and out the ends.

- --
Carson Damm
Ft. McMurray, AB