Re: Why did dash designs go to pot in the 70's?

You all have presented some interesting points regarding why
dashboards did or did not go to pot in the 1970's.

Like Matthew Killick, I at first questioned John Hertzman's assertion =

that the guage numbers should always be upright. He seemed to say
that the functional clarity of the guages can make =

or break the overall effect of a dash. This had more merit, the
more I thought about it. Perhaps a Russian watch looks great
because it gives a sense of extreme mechanical presicion.
But it's hard to call an *instrument* beautiful when it =

doesn't communicate anything or succumbs to too much fru-fru.

Trying to find pictures of all the models =

mentioned was a bit tough. I haven't bought the =

Amico & Tabucchi book yet but did find some =

pictures in the Alfa Romeos Buyers Guide. I agreed with John
about the Giulia TI trapezoidal instrument pod. =

It's a little different. I share the sentiment about those =

1750 dashes with the dual pods - they are terrific.
I can't imagine we will ever know who was able =

to carry such a clear design through the Alfa Romeo
bueacracy(if it can be called that in a 1960')
and still get it produced.

Andrew Watry brought up the point about the need for dashboards
to consider safety at the start of the 70's.
I would only agree with this point if
it was true that the engineering departments were able to send
the stylists packing. Maybe when safety was mentioned, =

management said they would only listen to what the engineers have to
say (I'm an engineer by training). I can't imagine that =

designers would conciously design some of the incongrous designs
that started showing up in the 70's (e.g.  =

the Lamborghini Countach dashboard). =

I'm still of the opinion that the 60's dashes =

(Guilia TI included) are more appealing
than the dashes seen in the 80's Milano and GTV6. =

Maybe the design goal of the 80's was to =

look like the BMWs.

Yours,
Stephen Remington
Baltimore, MD