Re: Giulia instrumentation

John Hertzman wrote:
>The discrepancy is between Alfa's model designations for the many variants
built on the Giulia hull, and the reasonable casual extensions of those
designations by owners who don't give a whit for nitpicking differences.

John, I may not have the wit, but that doesn't mean I don't give a whit.
You are correct, of course, the car is a Giulia 1300 TI, rhd, (105.40) as
it says on the plate hanging on my garage wall.  I hadn't previously
considered the addition of the "1300" as significant, certainly not
indicative of Alfa Romeo considering it a new model.  It is different from
the earlier cars, having an hydraulic clutch, single circuit ATE brakes,
and the 4-bolt A-arm pivot.  My only beef with the specification is that it
retains the dash mounted hand brake (mounted directly in front of my left
knee), and to replace that with a central lever requires new seats and
floor rails, as well as the hand brake assembly.

While I am on the subject of Giula trivia, can anyone tell me whether later
(post 1969) cars had the light and heater switches migrate from being
blades pointed at the drivers right knee (rhd car) to somewhere safer.
Ideally I'd like to re-locate the parking/headlamp switch on to the
steering column, and the others into the dashboard, but I don't want to
butcher the dashboard and shroud, both of which are in good original condition.

Fair point about the numbers, but despite this I am still happy to have a
clear, legible display set where it can be read unobscured by hands and
wheel.  It is always an illuminating exercise to show this modest and
unassuming car to those who have some basic interest.  The interior, as
with so many other details, does not strike many casual observers as bring
anything special, until the clarity and completeness of the layout is
demonstrated.  This, together with showing him under the bonnet, as well as
the brakes and suspension set up, was how I hooked the current owner of my
ex-GTV.  Previously, he had owned only Fords, and had no idea just how hard
some old cars can run, and how well they can stop.  Or that more than one
instrument can be fitted into a dashboard.

Cheers
Mat