Update on broken easy out

Thanks to everyone who responded with ideas on removing broken screws and
easy outs.

Just to clear up any confusion, I had sheared off the screws/bolts that hold
the rear suspension/axle limiting straps onto the "frame"/wheel well of a 105
series GTV.  (I know, it is a unibody.)  I also did not explain that before I
torqued off the screws with vise grips, I had soaked them for a day with
penetrating oil and heated the nut to red hot before trying to remove the
screws.

They sheared off flush with the bracket, so there was no stub to grip.  Also,
this is a steel bracket and not an aluminum case of any kind.  If the "screw"
(actually a bolt with a countersunk phillips head) would not come out with
vise grips or an easy out, a new slot and a screwdriver would be ineffective.

There is not a lot of room to work, BTW.  You have to loosen and lower the
rear axle to get enough clearance to work upside down.

We have Electrostatic Discharge Machines (EDM) at work, and you have to have
the tap/easy out immersed in EDM fluid to run the machine and burn through
the problem.  I broke off a tap in a crankshaft once while threading the oil
holes to replace the aluminum plug with a hex screw.  I did have that tap
EDMed out and that is a very good application for EDM.  You cannot EDM these
screws working upside down in the wheel well.

Rich Hirsch's offer of advise on fasteners through his newsletter archives is
very good information for everyone.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/thrdfast.html

Russ Neely suggested striking the easy out with a punch and try to shatter
it.  I heated the forward blind barrel nut red hot and started to wail away
at the easy out.  I then noticed the nut was lifting off the bracket and
coming loose.  I started hitting the top of the nut from the gap in the front
and broke the nut off.  The rear nut was not as easy, it is more inaccessible
and this one was welded on much better.  After beating the tar out of the
nut, it came loose while only taking a little of the bracket with it.

I then cut a flat piece of metal to fit on top if the bracket, drilled holes
for the bolts and a friend welded some nuts on top of the strap.  This
replicates the captured nuts in a confined space.  I did have to retap the
nuts due to their changing size a little bit because of the heat when they
were welded.

This now fits perfectly, covers the mangled, odd shaped holes and with the
new stainless steel bolts, everything goes together like new.

People say that part of the reason the bolts rust so badly is that they pass
through an aluminum spacer that helps hold the straps to the body.
Someone (I don't remember who) said that they replaced these blocks with
locally made nylon blocks when they reassembled their straps.  I think that
is a good idea, and I will do the same if I can find blocks of nylon, Delron
or something like it.

Thanks again to all that offered help and suggestions.

I know this is long, but it is all Alfa mechanical content and I hope someone
else can learn from my mistakes.  Besides, I thought one of the main reasons
for the Digest was to help each other take care of our cars.

Give peace a chance.

Keith (I'm just here to learn tips on fixing my cars) Kelly
Tulsa, OK
Cocoa Beach, Fla