'77 spider engine mods + more

Hi All,
 My car needs new rings. My mechanic has suggested throwing in 10:1 pistons
while he's in there.  I would also like to eventually go for a '74 exhaust
with the rail welded in to make it look stock, as well as 1750 cams. But I
do have a couple of questions about that:
1) For those of you that have done these mods, what has it done to
drivability, and will 92 octane gas keep the engine (with its higher
compression ratio) from pinging? Most of my driving is around town (I do
like to rev it up), and I go to a couple of track events each year.
2) I'm also kind of concerned about passing smog - Californians have any
input on what mods you can do to the late seventies cars?
3) How hard is it to get '74 headers and 1750 cams?
Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA