Re: Rear Strap repair

Keith Kelly lamented:  "While trying to change the fabric rear suspension
limiting straps on my 74
GTV, I found the screws were very rusted and frozen in place.  I drilled the
heads off, pulled the straps and blocks off, and use a vise grip on the
remaining stubs.  I got two out, but the other two sheared off flush with the
mount bracket. ....Next time I will simply drill out the screw/bolt and
retap the hole.  Plus I
will install stainless steel bolts instead of using the original Philips head
screws."

I'm assuming you are referring to the two screws that go through a
rectangular retaining plate to hold the straps up to the chassis.  The
rubber rebound "buffer" attaches to this plate.   I had the same problem,
and removed the remaining bolt and the conical nut into which they are
fastened by  using a chisel to bash /cut them out.  I stuck the chisel in
from the front  into the bracket that holds these nuts and to which the
straps mount.  When you have cut them out, you will have some jagged holes,
clean up with a file.  I then used bolts with reinforcing washers to come
down through the bracket so that nuts  are then used to hold the retaining
plates and straps to the chassis.    I installed the new straps so that the
shiny plastic side of the double straps face each other on the inside.
Good luck, PITA job.

KCT, Powell, TN