America right or wrong

Interesting responses my innocent little post provoked. There is a line
from Hamlet apropos to this thread (using the term loosely)

the lady doth protest too much, I think....

rendered variously, but substantially accurate.

What I said:

Italy beat America in the Louis Vuitton Cup, earning the right to challenge
for the America's Cup (a penny ante Victorian English Yachting Trophy
elevated to a world competition essentially by the New York Yacht Club
saying nyaa nyaa ne nyaa na to some stuffy misguided British Upper crust
types who promptly spent tons of money proving the Americans built better
yachts). America did not put it's best foot forward, most likely because it
diluted it's efforts by fielding six teams (and had the noive to imply the
Italians only won because they spent more money...puleeze)

Ferrari beat the world for the constructors championship..they built the
best race car in the world in 99. Had Schumacher been fit, they'd have won
the driver's title too. Schumy may be brilliant but he ain't THAT much
better than Hakkinen or Irvine, after all Fast Eddie won some races too,
and Salo showed it was a fast car pretty fast.

American emission and collision protection laws now amount to a trade
barrier, unjustifiable by normally accepted principles of international
trade, principles that the US repeatedly and vociferously tries to ram down
the rest of the world's throat, when it suits it. The fiasco of the
current  US administration finally starting to apply these regulations to
SUV's (which necessarily means they did not apply until now, and SUVs built
before today demonstrably do not comply) absolutely proves that this is the
case.

What I did NOT say:

ALFA is no longer in the US market because of these protectionist regulations.

America is no good

Gun control is a good idea (which it is BTW)

Sailing in New Zealand is for sissys (or whatever epithet one wishes to
substitute for the somewhat offensive "sissy")...just try a New Zealand
sailing "cruise" in the Hauraki Gulf and say that with a straight face.

Funny thing is I SAID I was tossing down the gauntlet and no one picked it
up...so what is the justification for the current difference between US and
European safety and emission rules? Why is it easier to import a US car
into Europe than vice versa? (though admittedly very very few people want
too...point made I think). Getting back to what I DID say, and the reason I
sent in the post, is that importing a perfectly safe and clean burning
European made car is practically speaking impossible for an ordinary US
Citizen. This is not true for the reverse, although what an ordinary person
can afford to put on the road in Europe does not include many US style
cars, for lots of reasons unrelated to regulation, but which should be of
interest to everyone on this BB.

I recently picked up the 2000 edition of R&T's guide to sports and GT cars
available in the US. Twenty cars were tested, one of them was a SAAB Viggen
( a sedan I think, a very fast and excellent sedan but NOT a Sports or GT
car). Only five cars were priced under $30,000.  The Mazda Miata, the Ford
Mustang convertible,the Mercury Cougar (is nothing sacred a cougar included
as a Sports or GT car???), the Mitsubishi Eclipse (ditto I think), and last
but not least the Toyota Celica GT-S (at least the name gives it away as a
GT). Funny thing, the sedan could run rings around any of the cars even
close to the Viggen in price, I love SAABs (own two of them) but it is a
station wagon guys, a very very quick and fast station wagon, bit still a
wagon.

I won't bother to dig out my older copies of R&T's Sports and GT guide but
I defy anyone to find an older version that includes so many hopelessly
boring or outrageously expensive cars pretending to be true sports
machines. Sure, the US regulations didn't drive ALFA out of the market, but
they prevent any small volume manufacturer from importing cost effectively,
even Morgan only manages it by stuffing a Land Rover engine in and spending
a bunch on silly and irrelevant details.

Flame away guys, but as we say in my business, I rest my case (we don't
actually, but it sounds good on TV).

Welcome to the world's most boring automotive market...the good ole US of
A, why have you done this to yourselves? And to head off those Canada's
just as bad flames, we did it because we had to. No one would make a
Canadian Spec only model..well except maybe Lada, or Volvo. Once the US
started mandating standards for cars, Canada had no choice if it wanted to
buy anything but made in Canada American cars (we build the best US built
cars in North America!)

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada