Re: No Subject

At 7:42 PM 2/10/00, KMerr@domain.elided wrote:
>Our colleage Luca, who wrote "We don't see the amazing roads, full of
>twisties we have here," has, perhaps, never driven U.S. 36 from Rocky
>Mountain National Park into Boulder, Colo. A quick drive on a beautiful
>spring morning in my 74 GTV proved to me how impossible it is to resist
>driving fast on a glorious mountain twisty, even if it meant shamelessy (and
>stupidly) passing motor homes on the curve and multiplying the speeds posted
>on those "curve ahead" signs by two to determine the proper speed for an
>idiot with a huge Alfa grin plastered to his face. I'm sorry. I couldn't help
>it. I'll never do it again. No, really.
>Regards,
>Ken Merrill (ken.merrill@domain.elided)

US 36 as described is a nice road.

BUT-- for some REAL fun try US 60 from Charleston to Crawley West Virginia!

There are also some real doozies in the finger lakes region of NY state.

US 50 across Nevada is a nice mixture of flat out desert strectches and
about seven nice, moderately tight twisty mountain passes between Fernley
and Ely.

The million dollar highway (US 550) from Ouray to Purgatory, Colo. is not
for the timid (BIG drops, instant SPLAT if you goof), but has lots of
really nice stretches. Gotta find a time with light traffic, though, and be
tuned for altitude.

And, for another, even better still, try driving  Calif. Hwys. 36 and 3
from Ferndale to Douglas City! Very few cars, and Yeee haw!!

Greg