Re: Alfa patriotism

In a message dated 2/10/00 2:18:30 PM Central Standard Time, V3rd3go@domain.elided
writes:

<< Is an Audi as involving to drive as an Alfa ? Never ! Can you ever feel an
 easy comarderie with a BMW like your Alfa ? Never ! Can either of these cars
 smoke our nicely styled Italian butts ? YES !

 April
 '87 Milano Verde
 214,700 (s)miles
 OK I'll climb into the bomb shelter now

No flames from me, as an owner of an 87 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro which I can
compare to my 87 Milano Platinum I will admit that in acceleration and skid
pad types of driving the Quattro is quicker. In the snow, with the same make
and model tires the Quattro kicks Alfa butt bad. But last October at Road
America at Elkhart Lake I compared the two on the 4 mile road course. I admit
that first, I am not a very good driver, second that my Milano's engine is
tired and third, that I had better, not wider tires on the Alfa. The Milano
is so sweet. The Audi is a boat. After a couple of laps on Saturday I blew
the front donut on the Alfa, towed it home and drove the Audi back for
Sunday. After a tech inspection I went out for three laps, one warm-up and
two hot ones. Then I parked it and watched. Besides turning much slower times
that the Alfas time, it was frightening in the corners with way too much body
roll in front. Just too much weight in over and in front of the front wheels.
Admittedly the cars are quite different in their intended markets, I'm sure
that a Ur-Quattro, the original coupe, would avail itself far better than my
wife's highway cruiser.

John Katos