Re: Turbo kit on new twin-spark

Robert Jones wrote:

>It said that they use a low boost turbo (7PSI), leaving the internals
>as they are (10:1 compression). This increases power (from the
>standard 114kW) by 30%, allowing the reviewed GTV to go from
>0 to 100 km/hr in 6.9 seconds. Standing quarter mile time was
>completed in around 15 secs.
>
>The interesting point in this article to me, was that torque-steer
>became an issue after the kit was fitted. Shame they don't sell
>RWD or AWD versions.

Strange that the article mentioned this problem. We also have a company
here in S Africa that turbos the new T/Sparks but to a much higher boost
which achieves 185kW and 345NM torque! This makes this 2 litre Alfa a M3
challenger and you achieve easy wheel spins even when changing to 3rd gear!
However, because of the LSD characteristics of the final drive, no (or very
minimal) torque-steer are experienced with these low flying rockets.

Having owned 17 Alfas myself of which the last three were FWDs (33 1.7 16V,
145 2.0 Q and now a 156 2.0 T/Spark), I can truly say that the modern Alfas
out handle ANY RWD Audi or BMW with standard suspension setup! I have
fought many successful battles through twisty mountain passes against these
RWDs! I have only once been passed through a long sweeping mountain bend
while doing 220km and the rev counter sitting at 6500RPM - AND that was by
another 145 2.0 (which I suspect had his suspension stiffened slightly).
But what a beautiful 20 km trip we had trying to outdo each other through
the mountains - only dropping our speed down to 180km to set ourselves up
for the next bend!

BMWs and Audis? Ah pleeze! I successfully even took on their bigger 2.8s
and 3.5s with my 33 1.7 16V and wiped the slate clean - purely through
superior road holding! The more powerful Germans could catch with me during
the short straights between the bends but then fall far back again as their
tail ends starts wagging when the rubber gets pushed to their limits.....

I agree that the V6 versions of Alfas do not quite enjoy this perfect
balancing through corners. The heavier engines do produce some under steer.
But I suppose these cars will find favor to the Alfisti that are prepared
to sacrifice a little road holding to experience the extra power provided
by the V6.

So before I finally get off my soap box and go back in lurking mode let me
finish this email with the following statement: To all the RWD evangelists
out there - You need to experience the smaller engined (up to 2 litre)
modern Alfas FWDs - They are EXCELLENT!

And the day that Ford or Kia buys Alfa? I will change back to motorcycles
for my enjoyment! Actually, with talk like this maybe Alfa needs protection
from the American buyer?

Regards,
Phillip

2000 156 2.0 T/Spark :-)