Alfa and protectionism

I would suspect that the real reason Alfa pulled out was that they were
loosing money for every car built at the time, and with far lower car
prices in the USA they lost far more money per unit. Maybe Alfa will
be back, but I doubt they are in any hurry when their profit margins
in most other countries in the world are far higher per unit and without
the chance of massive law suits (after all Bell Helmets gave up selling
motorcycle helmets as they could not afford to keep winning the
actions raised against them.

A couple of million $ is not much to pay to homologate a car, but the
more units you sell the less of that money has to be picked up by
each buyer.

All the best

Keith