RE: Ford/Jaguar/et al

Jerry wrote:

>IMHO, if Ford (or someone else)had not bought Jag they would be defunct by
>now.  Ford saved them from going under..Jag was in terrible financial
shape.

I understand your point, Jerry, but it doesn't make me any happier as an
auto enthusiast.  While the Jag label can still be seen on new autos, how
many knowledgeable people would recognize one as a Jag if it wasn't wearing
the badge?  No Jag afficianado would ever confuse that engine or suspension
for the mechanisms that Jag built its reputation on.

No, what makes a Marque a Marque is the unique sensual experience that it
delivers.  The true test is to have someone familiar with the marque get
into the car blindfolded.  If he says, "Hey, this is an Alfa," (or "Jag",
or "Aston"), "isn't it?"  Then, I'll be happy.  In Jag's case, I don't see
that happening.  In the case of Fiat buying Alfa, I can only feel that we
actually lucked-out.  From every report we hear, the new Alfas maintain the
character of the marque.  Would that have happened if Ford had bought Alfa?

The PanAm name exists again after a many-year absence.  None of us are
confusing it with the airline that it used to be.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco