Sedans, Spiders and Big Bad Government

I would tend to agree with Michael Smith (AD7-1332) on the advantages sedans
can have over roadsters - ("since the invention of the unibody, sedans can be
made lighter, stiffer, and faster than either coupes or spiders") - one need
look no further than the current Alfa Spider and its base, the 155 sedan-
1420 kg vs 1370 for the V6, 1370 kg vs 1260 for the twin-spark. The numbers
get even funnier as you move back in time; by d'Amico & Tabucchi's figures,
which I assume they got from the factory, the V6 Spider weighs 1420 kg, the
V6 155 1370 kg, the V6 164 1310 kg, and V6 75 1090 kg. In an earlier
generation the Duetto managed to match the Giulia Super in weight (990 kg
each), helped by its appreciably shorter wheelbase and half the seating, but
of course it wasn't as stiff nor, I suspect, nearly as safe in practically
any sort of accident.

I am, happily, able to delete the paragraphs I started which were parting
with Michael Smith on his remarks about government's gross encroachment on
people's rights with federal regulation keeping better cars off our shores.
Before I got my spleen unloaded ad7-1334 came with eminently sensible remarks
by Will Owen, Jerry Lewis and John Katos. Bless you, all three. I suppose
Smith may have been indulging his mischievous sense of humor, but he had me
believing he meant it. Sigh-

John H.