From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of Hal
Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 12:07 AM
To: Simon Favre; alfa digest
Subject: Re: Return of the Rattling Spider Thread...

Simon,

Thanks for the response.

You're talking about that bracket with the two rubber bushings (grommets?)
in it, right?  Yeah, that checks out ok.

Rubber bushings around the driveshaft intermediate bushings have not yet
been checked.

The quality of this noise (thin and buzzy) suggests to me that it's
something relatively light (?).  The exhaust bracket would have seemed
right, but I don't think it's that.

Brian Shorey (who seems pretty savy, in general) has suggested that the
pilot bushing in the driveshaft, which mates with the transmission's output
shaft, could be the culprit.  I seem to get the noise equally whether the
transmission is in neutral or driving the wheels, however; I'm not sure if
that would be consistent with a  pilot bushing issue or not.

Feedback (anybody)?

Thanks again.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega" (like Marie Callas with laryngitis)