Re: alfa-digest V7 #1332

I hate doing getting into this thing - but, I just can't help myself, ...
I think Jacob Haagerup is basically right.  Worldwide, the 156 is a runaway
sales success for Fiat.
In a world where "everyone appreciates the fine qualities of Alfa Romeo" -
(as opposed to here in the unenlightened USA where we are apparently all
stupid, and unrefined  or uncaring or uneducated or whatever) - what other
model could you say that about? the 75?, the 155?, 164 (maybe), Giulietta
(nuova)?.  For decades (basically due to financial constraints), Alfa and
then Fiat struggled along selling warmed over versions (sometimes not really
improved versions) of very old designs.   The greater car buying public new
it, stayed away in droves, and  bought their competitors.  The 156 is very
handsome (how many preceding models could you  say that about - remember you
are talking to a Super and Milano owner), is outstanding dynamically (drives
good), and is priced very competitively.  I'm sure the 156 would do fine here
- - given all the other factors that assure sales sucess of any car.  I don't
think the product is the problem at this point in time.

And by the way, i don't believe it is impossible to make money just selling
coupes and spiders - it's just hard.  Porsche & Ferrari have done well there.
  Several others further down the food chain have done well from time to
time.

Coupes and spiders, by their natures, can only be purchased by a very small
segment of the population.  Most buyers have too many other priorities to be
met when they consider transportation, and can't afford a second, just for
fun, vehicle.  Even in the relatively wealthy USA, where a "small percentage"
of 250 million (or whatever our population is today) is still a big number,
the split of the coupe/spider pie available to any player is pretty small.
The cold truth in today's world,is that unless you have a volume bread &
butter line to help amortize development costs - you end up having to live in
the very high priced strata - which reduces your market size even more.
What's it all mean - I don't know, I'm just holding on hoping they come back.
Andy