Sedans v Spiders

No car company can make decent money selling only spiders and coupes, the
market just ain't big enough.

Furthermore, since the invention of the unibody, sedans can be made
lighter, stiffer, and faster than either coupes or spiders (checked out the
European touring car championships lately? Tried to outrun a Volvo Turbo
wagon  or a SAAB 9 3 turbo Hatchback no less!?!). The spider cannot compete
on a power to weight basis because the open top prevents the body from
being made stiff enough. The coupe has to have almost as much sheet metal
and glass as a sedan, and because the door openings are bigger than a four
door, by the time you make them as crashproof (passively that is), they end
up heavier than the equivalent sedan. Everywhere but North America these
simple truths are well understood and accepted by the marketplace.

In North America the auto market is so badly distorted by the selective
safety and emissions regulation, and dominated by two and a half
manufacturers, that I believe the car market is doomed. People drive
fantastically heavy, lousy handling, cramped (even the huge Navigator, to
pick only one absurd example, is stupidly inefficient in space
utilization), expensive and very unsafe trucks disguised as cars. The very
few cognoscenti that drive sports machines because they love them are left
unsupported by the masses of sedan customers that are needed to make the
sports models economically feasible.

Until the American public truly wake up and protest the gross encroachment
upon their rights that selective regulation of the auto industry has
produced, you will be forever stuck in SUV land. Now that Europe has woken
up to collision regulations and emission controls, all that is keeping
better cars off your shores is Federal regulation heavily favouring
vehicles no sane market would ever support anywhere else in the world. And
we in Canada just follow in your footsteps. Why? Because we are the number
one exporter to the US car market in units and dollars, so we have a vested
interest in protecting the manufacture and sale of this crap in North
America. Poetic justice, we get to drive the same crap. But, at least in
much of the country, if not for much of the population, a truck actually
makes sense... that's why I drive SAABs as well as ALFAs!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner