Re: alfa-digest V7 #1328/washing and waxing

> "Ken Ross" <Kdross@domain.elided>
>  Subject: Help with Waxes and Washing Spider

Ken:
Having owned and operated a car detailing service I would highly recommend
that you drive your spider after washing it to get rid of any water that may
have accumulated in cracks, crevices, etc.  You may have read in Autoweek
that some convertibles can be washed in drive-thru car washes.  Do not try
this with your car!
I use a hose and a bucket with a cleaner formulated for cleaning automobiles.
 There are a number of products available at your local auto parts store. Buy
a mit for washing while you're there. Do not use dish washing products.
Zymol makes very good products.  I find them too pricey for me and use
MeQuiars products. They have a cleaner/wax product that works very well.
Purists will tell you to use a cleaner on the paint first and then follow
that with a wax.  This is the proper way to care for the paint.  If your car
is a show car then you may want to use a glaze.  This gives added lustre, but
not any real protection.  I have also used products made by Mother's and find
them to be very good.  I would stay away from products that claim you only
need to use their product once or that it lasts for a year or more.
Depending on where you live and your driving habits I would wax your car 3-
4 times a year.  More if you have the time and enjoy it.

Elliott Zirkle
Austin