Re: S engine w/L-jet

Giovanni, all.

The L-Jetronic system seems to handle the higher compression pistons
just fine.  Case in point; Phil Mason at Phil's Foreign Car service
built a high-strung engine for a 1984 GTV6 with 10.5:1 pistons and
high-lift cams (Sperry regrind, I think it was) and that car is still
being beaten on at Laguna Seca last time I was there.  It's quite the
machine.  That was back in 1986.

My own Motronic conversion project has taught me that you could run a
hot street engine with a stock L-Jet setup but to fully realize the
engineering of the newer engine, e.g. the S motor, put in ALL the
S-stuff in it.  This includes intake runners, computer, fuel injectors,
all the sensors, AFM, catalytic converter etc. etc.  The first time I
cranked over my S-motor in my car with a mishmash of S-stuff and
Verde-stuff, it did run but it was not quite "there" if you know what I
mean.

When I dyno'ed the car back then (1997) it only put out 151bhp at the
wheels!  All that work and I had a Verde with even less torque!

I haven't dyno'ed the car since I swapped out all 164S-parts but if the
seat of my pants is anything to go about, a lot has changed.  Power is
seamless (like the 164S), and it goes from gutsy at around 2K rpm to
contagious at 4K rpm to YEEEEEEHAAAAA at 6.5K rpm.  It redlines at 7K.

You could do it in stages, like I did, but you won't be satisfied until
you reach the end of the journey proper.

Nizam

End of alfa-digest V7 #1328