Return of the Rattling Spider Thread...

...Just when you thought it was safe, it's back: the Rattling Spider
thread.

For those of you who may have missed it last time, there was some
discussion of rattles and buzzes and their possible causes in Spiders.

Well, mine has had a nasty buzz at around 3000 rpm, since I've owned it.  I
originally thought it was exhaust and, piece by piece, I replaced the
entire exhaust system, to no avail.

Today, I went to a muffler shop, who put the car up on a lift, and had me
rev it to 3000 rpm while it was up there.  They told me that they suspected
that the offending noise was originating from within the gearbox, as it
ceased when they grabbed the drive shaft.

Now, these were not Alfa folks; I was just looking for any help I could
get.  Now that I've got this feedback from them. is there anyone out there
who might be able to help translate it into an Alfa-specific opinion?  Is
there some part of the gearbox or drivetrain that might be especially prone
to a buzzing rattle between 2700 and 3500 rpm?  Something that might be
quelled by holding the drive shaft?

Opinions?

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega" (her sweet song is tainted by a hellish rattle)
Venice CA