164 HVAC problems

For the last week, my 1995 164Q has had the following problem.  After the car
warms up, and the interior is up to the set temperature, the fan comes on at
a higher speed and blows even more hot air.

I researched the 164 Home pages for the condition I have and did not find a
problem exactly like mine.  Is there a self test on the '95 164's like there
is on the earlier models?   I looked on the CarDisc and could not find one.

I have removed the plastic cover in the engine compartment, and the rod and
lever on the mixer appears to be moving freely, in that it moves as you press
the Temp + or Temp - switches, but the air continues hot.  (The air
conditioner kicks on if you set the temp down low, but again, never seems to
get any of the air into the car.  It is cooling, because the lines are cold,
so that is not the problem.)

It appears to be a problem with the mixing lever, but there were no posts on
it.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is this one of the stepper motors?

John Justus - Kansas City
1995 164Q
1971 1750 GT Veloce