Re: Alfa engined fighter planes

Michael wrote:

>The Macchi c. 202 had a 1,175 hp inverted V 12

According to my references, the Macchi M. C. 200 Seatta fighter, which
Macchi built for Regia Aeronautica in 1937, had a "low powered" radial
engine of Italian manufacture.  The airframe was later adapted to take the
German-designed Daimler Benz 601 inverted V-12 engine (unspecified
manufacturer, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Alfa building it under
license), and redesignated the Macchi 202.

>It is not well known that the Italian fighter aircraft
>were every bit the match for contemporary Allied fighters in speed and
>flying characteristics.

Very difficult to argue since, in its most refined form, designated the
Macchi 205, which used the DB 605 engine generating 1,500 HP, the airplane
had a maximum speed of only 390 MPH.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco