Re: ES30 springs

Lee Scanlan <Lee.Scanlan@domain.elided> wrote:

> The SZ, whilst using much of the 75, exchanged the front torsion
> bars for coil springs (I believe). If this is true and with all
> the bonuses we've been offerred on bars vs springs, the elimination
> of weighty reinforced spring towers being one, can anyone tell me
> why the change?

Alfa used coil springs on the S.Z. to accomodate a hydraulic ride-
height adjustment system.  Implementing such a system using torsion
bars would have been tricky.

Interestingly, if you peek underneath a parked S.Z., you'll notice
that the lower control arms are nearly horizontal, as on a Milano.
The frame rails are as far above the asphalt as a Milano's, too.
It's the low-slung bodywork, which extends several inches below the
floorpan, that makes the ride-height adjustment system necessary.

- -Tom
thomasw@domain.elided