verde upgrades part1

I recently put a bmw AFM in my verde and boy is this car fast
I also installed a heat shielded conical air filter on this afm so it sounds
even faster than it really is??!!!
The cars to get this from are 79 -81 bmw 733 and 528i I think any l-jet six
will work though.(I paid 65 + tax, probably the best buy ever)
Installation was a breeze
I had already fashioned a mount for my afm when I installed the conical
filter a while back so after a few careful bends with a vise grip and a few
bangs with the hammer viola a very sturdy and not too shabby mount(I knew
that engineering degree from Rensselaer would be worth something). After I
mounted the afm  and found it secure I removed it and then proceeded to beg
my 'live-in' for an old pot (just say you cleaned the hose first)
I heated the rubber intake hose for 15 mins in boiling H2O as per Doug
Sedon's recommendation. I then slid the very hot hose onto the afm and
clamped it with a bigger clamp than what I was using before, then back to
the heated garage for the install. (did I mention that it was bitter cold
outside) It started right up and idled a little high (weird I expected it
idle low) I simple wound the spring until I felt the engine idle very
smooth(one turn ) It turns out the spring retainer was off the dial so I
slid it back on. This is why the idle was high.
This was a very rewarding project because I actually felt the fruits of my
labor as soon as I stepped on the gas. Unlike stories I here of many more
painful mods this one had tangible results.
Highly recommended. I give this one 5 1/2 pistons on the v6 mod scale. A 6
piston is a 2.5 to 3.0 upgrade. A 1/2 piston is when I  busted my knuckles
replacing a busted steering rack with a worse one from a junk yard.
Now I will put in the S cams this week and the then the kirshtein computer
in a month (still recovering from Christmas bills).
I also have a platinum gearbox and I need to know how to deal with the
speedo problem after the switch
Is it really worth it to switch gboxes;  Will I feel an improvement in
acceleration or will I just be annoyed at having to shift sooner. Any
thoughts.