Milano Clutch Trouble

Chris Lesher wrote about Milano clutch problems.  Here's what happened to mine:
Bought this car off e-bay and getting it sorted out and restored has been an adventure.  The clutch always had
a terrible scraping going into reverse from stop and sometimes first.  Sometimes pumping the pedal helped,
sometimes it had no effect.  Synchros are shot too and I thought I was just in for a tranny rebuild and new
clutch.  I had the clutch master replaced hoping to get a little more life (and less scraping) out of it and got no
change.   The slave never has leaked.
One day the clutch went out just as Chris wrote.  I crawled under it to look at the slave and to check the
clutch fork (I had read a couple of digests about them braking).  Had my wife pump the pedal and saw the
slave and its bracket being pushed backwards instead of pushing the clutch fork forward.  Closer inspection
found the bracket broken!
It has three bolts holding on on the transaxle.  The bracket was broken so that only two bolts could hold it on
and this let it flex.  Evidently it flexed until a second bolt sheared off leaving only one bolt.  Got a replacement
from Mathews Parts in Birmingham Alabama (BTW these guys have several Milanos in their boneyard and
price their parts very fairly).
Chris, look at the bracket closely, the bolt hole on the bottom closest to the middle of the transaxle could have
broken off.  It will still be there so you will have to look carefully to see if it is broken.

Kevin Smith
87 Milano
86 Spider

End of alfa-digest V7 #1316