re: Newbie Spider driver needs advice

I have vivid memories of my beloved and long long gone '71 Spider 1750
Veloce, which handled like a dream with stock springs, Koni shocks, and a
set of Michelin Xas (165-14) tires all the way around. The '78 Spider I
obtained in '97 was pretty beat up and felt like a "little Buick" by
comparison: imprecise steering and ponderous weight at the ends. Over time
it improved a lot with new suspension bushings, balljoints, tie rod ends,
and control arms, IAP springs, some suspension setting changes, and new
tires, but it never felt quite as good as the '71 did.

The '78 was wreck by an errant Honda in '99 and I built FrankenSpider from
the best bits of the wreck, a rotted '82 and a very clean '79 chassis. It
handles nice and tight, very close to expectations and those vivid
memories, but the tires are not quite right. One of the biggest
improvements to the handling was dispensing with the '79's overly heavy
bumpers in exchange for a set of very light fiberglass replicas ... all of
a sudden, the car no longer feels like it weighs two tons with 150 lbs
less weight at the far ends. It needs a sportier set of tires (I currently
have it fitted with Michelin XGTH4s on 6" rims; they are biased to ride
quality, not steering response) ... coming up soon.

I installed adjustable upper control arms along with the new springs,
shocks and other suspension bits. Basic tack has been to set up the
suspension with 1 degree negative camber, as much positive caster as
clearance will allow (about 2.3 degrees) and about .75-1mm toe-in. I've
also carefully adjusted the steering box for just the right amount of
clearance and play.

The message here is that set up and tuned right, the suspension on your
Spider should be very confidence inspiring and give you great feedback. If
your mechanic does not understand what you're looking for and can't feel
the difference between a properly set up Spider and one that boats about
like a '50s sedan, you'll either need to work on his education or find
someone with the sensitivity to get you what you're looking for.

Godfrey
  i pay frankenspider's bills