Headlight gremlins

I was driving up a winding rural road the other night in my '92 spider and
turned on the headlights.  I then turned on the high beams and after a few
seconds, total darkness!  The low beam still worked and if I flicked the
flashing lever the high beams would come on 'til I let go of the lever--but
the switch to keep them on didn't work.  Could this be a problem with a
relay or do I need a new switch?  If I need a new switch, are electrical
parts reasonable to get used, such as from APE, or am I better off with a
new part. Thanks.