71 GTV Overhead rattles

Hey folks.

The subject sounds ominous, but heres the story.

My 71 GTV,  which starts perfectly, drives wonderfully, doesn't blow any
smoke to speak of, and generally is a bucket load of fun,  seems a little
noisy across the valve gear.

I've checked the valve clearances, and they are right on spec according to
Pat's bible, and the cardisc cd.  THe camshafts are not worn in profile or
heel, the cam buckets are fine, the chain is tensioned correctly (however
the chain may be quite old)  the timing is perfect, doesn't ping etc etc.

Anyway, when parked next to my friends 71 GTV, my car has quite a lot more
valvetrain noise than his.   It's disconcerting, however, I've had the car
for 3 years now, and it's always been the same. I just wondered if anyone
had any suggestions as to where to start looking for the noise ?  It's
definitely across the top of the engine somewhere.

In the time I've had the car, I've checked the clearances 3-4 times,
replaced a head gasket once, de-coking he valves at the time,  re-timed the
cams. Nothing stands out.

The car's a 1750.  Maybe I should just set the clearances a little tighter.
Any thoughts on a clearance spec ?

Scott.
71 1750 GTV.