16" 156 wheels

one more narrative about spain (wait, wait stop running away!) - just
quickly!  before i left a friend of mine was joking about bringing back a
set of deep dish Q4 wheels (he has a bit of a fetish but we'll discuss
that later): a carryon each for myself and my sub-100lb girlfriend.

well, in one of many drooling sessions in fiat (alfa) dealerships i asked
to look at their wheel catalogue and the next thing you know i'm pricing
the different models and figuring out a way to lug them back.  some
logistical problems with the barcelona dealership forced me to buy them
elsewhere (400 miles away where i happened to be at one point) and lug
them back to barcelona in the ford focus (incidentally the four wheel
boxes fit snugly in the trunk area like the ford designers had some real
foresigh: uncannyt!).  some real drama lugging them inside my hotel to
pack them (yes, i was thought mad!), to customs to get the refund for the
VAT (value added tax) on them, creatively packing them with sliced hose
around the edges (the hardware store also though i was mad) and clothing,
sitting on the boxes and taping them up and all together (the latter at
the airport), making it through US customs (whew!), and the result is 4
lovely, unscathed 156 wheels (the 16" with 5 large circles) waiting to be
mounted with appropriate tires on my 164

ascher
78 spider (jealous of all this 164 talk)
91 164S
91 164L auto
      ascher@domain.elided