spyder 86 trouble

Help please. I have a 1986 spyder veloce that seems to have a problem
that my mechanic said is going to cost me a lot of money to fix it. Hope
any of you have a better idea to what is wrong with my car.
Here is the problem: Without any apparent reason the car does not start
even if until that particular moment was running O.K. In other words, I
may be driving to the grocery store, park the car and later be unable to
restart it. It can happen at any time without any warning. When I turn
the key to start the engine, the starter activates O.K., there is full
power throughout the car (lights, radio, etc. everything works), but the
car won't start. It may take few minutes or days, and at a different try
it will start right off, just like you would normally expect. It seems
obvious that there is some electrical problem, and my mechanic tested
the flow to the fuel pump, as well as a series of other wires and
connectors, without finding the problem. He said that he does not have
any idea and that he has to check every wires and what have you that is
electrical in the car to try to solve this problem. It will take him
days.... Is any of you that can suggest to me (so that I can try on my
own to solve this problem) where I can look and try to find the problem?

Thank you very much of any help you can provide me,

Claudio Benvenuti