Re: winter alfas

Hi all, I am back on the digest again, been away for a month.

In my opinion Alfa have missed two points of driving an Alfa in
the Arctic winter. In the 75 Milano, 164 and the 145/146 the door
handles and key looks are most vulnarable to the frosen snow. The
new 156 has excellent door handles, easy to grip and open the
frozen door with. The rubber/plastic seals often freeze together
with the metal of the door, making it utterly hard to open.

I also think that the wind screen flushing reservoir should be
inside the engine bay. On the models above, it is under the front
wing, exposed to the cold wind and not gaining any heat from the
warm engine. The hoses are mounted outside the engine bay. I had a
FIAT once and that car had the entire system in the engine bay.
The heat from the engine was sufficient to make things much easier
when I used the wipers. Yeah, I always use anti-freeze in the
reservoir, but sometimes the thin hoses get blocked by ice anyway.

The Swedish car makers SAAB and Volvo have everything under the
bonnet. They should know.

BTW, my -67 Duetto has the entire system close to the engine, warm
and cosy, so IMHO "those were the days, things were better
before".

Just my 0.02

Saluti		Wille R in Scandinavia

Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce 1967