alfas, spain and sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll

i've now settled in for about a week after my trip to spain.  well the
first two are dead on, and i'm not commenting on the last three....(ok,
not much rock 'n' roll).  the reality is just now sinking in, and i
thought it a good time to rekindle my heavenly memories by retelling some
of the highlights.  first, let me say this was largely a driving trip and
i had the pleasure of driving over 1500miles (not km!)  - in a an alfa
156 and a ford focus - through the coastal and central pyrenees, into
southern france, and across regions like navarra, la rioja, aragon, and
cataluna.  in barcelona i found a few places that rented the 156 (despite
all of my internet attempts to reserve a car beforehand) and when leaving
i even spotted a 156 at avis (though the bums initially told me they had
none) at the barcelona airport.  [if anyone needs rental info on the 156
in barcelona, i purposely saved anything i found].

the 156 was the right car to introduce us to the pyrenees, though after
100 or so 180 degree switchbacks my girlfriend copilot started longing
for the driving UNexcitement of the long island expressway.  i was
unfortunately stuck with the 156 ts 1.6 liter emaciated version, but the
car is typically alfa.  the suspension was perfect for taking every type
of turn imaginable; there was no apex left unexplored, and i was able to
hone my late apex and "in-and-out" turns.  some nicer tires and more
engine umph would have made the turn exit up shifts much more exciting,
but i'm not going to start complaining (and if i weren't so used to the
164 i'd probably complain about the front drive).  the shifting was great
on the 156, although the clutch almost felt too light.  and despite the
small engine, when i unrolled my window i could faintly make out some
typical alfa notes.  my only complaints had to do with an interior build
quality that echoed honda more than the 164: some of the interior
plastics should really be upgraded.  ergonomics were good (layout was
almost a little boring w/o any strange button/shifter locations), and the
center console nicely fits a pair of sunglasses and....a european juice
container.  this can't be coincidence.  the compartment fits one of those
square cardboard containers like a glove; probably alfa's way around the
cup holder thing. compromise without compromising principles.

the ford focus was very impressive also.  i was half expecting a big
letdown after its 1999 car-of-the-year award and all of the subsequent
press, but was pleasantly surprised to drive a small displacement, front
wheel drive car so oriented toward driving.  handling was crisp (unlike
any other ford i've ever known), and although not as much fun as the
alfa, a pleasure to drive.  the shifting was a little bit of a letdown,
but i got used to it.  the interior and exterior styling speak for
themselves, and the ergonomics were very nice.  build quality was
excellent (with seat adjust knobs that remind me of the newer jetta -
this is a good thing).  and except for no juice container holder (i
actually got to miss that thing!) and a very flimsy gas cap covers, i had
no complaints.  i was also impressed with the traction control, though i
rarely used it.

anyway, the spain experience was truly awesome, relatively incident-free
(i left my eyeglasses on top of the 156 in the pyrenees), and an
opportunity i'm glad i didn't miss.  it took a while to get used to the
fact that what looks like a lane delineation here (dotted lines) actually
delineates the oncoming lane, and that large block-like dots indicate a
passing lane (these are intuitively opposite for me).  i will say that i
have great respect for the driving mind set there, and felt at ease
racing back to barcelone mid-trip at 100+ mph in the alfa for an hour
along with an audi and ford focus; confident knowing a buick lesabre full
of florida-bounds was not about to cut me off.  and it was refreshing to
be passed at 100 mph by an older gentleman in an audi.  some
observations:

1) signs are specific, meaningful, and usually designed to be
connotatively obvious
2) passing is usual and safe because the faster driver usually has the
skills and the slower driver is conscious of someone other than himself
3) the fast lane is truly for the faster driver and accordingly stays
clear until someone quickly passes (directional and all) and then moves
into the slow lane
4) even trucks (i purposely took the truck routes ("nacionales") instead
of the much tamer "autopistas") move out of one's way
5) spanish drive faster than the french
6)i hope avanti gasoline is a ferrari subsidiary, because their big black
horse on yellow background looks a little too much like the ferrari
symbol.; very nice to see agip gas stations, too

some interesting cars i noted:

ford puma: it at least LOOKS like a real modern sports - as opposed to
performance - car; the guys at car magazine think it performs like one
too according to this month's issue
peugeot 206: a very appropriately sexy design for a car of that size; i
was very impressed with the overall styling, and i've heard good things
about its drivability
lancia: mixed feelings about their design signature, and one can
definitely see the styling similarity with the 166; the integrale, for
all its racing heritage, was one ugly design: like a flattened, 1985
volkswagon golf.
audi A3: one of the cars i plan on test driving when i return; styled
like a mature golf - very, very pretty.
fiat coupe: looks like a mix between a new alfa spider and a bad cubist
painting
fiat punto: i tried to like it; really i did!
alfas: all interesting for various reasons; the 166 is very striking,
especially in a an environment of smallish autos
surprisingly common award: audi A6; audi in general
most lovely (common) car award: (excluding alfas): peugeot 406
best design award: smart car: what a beautiful, practical, well thought
out city car (a definite to rent next time).
car most out of place award: the only (thankfully) lincoln navigator i
saw: talk about out wrong environment!
and what's with the european aesthetic for aggressive looking SUVs.  the
bulbous, boxy wheel cladding and exaggerated fenders are something i
found odd.

truly a rewarding experience to be able to see so much in such short time
and appreciate the varying terrain: older and newer mountains, white
peaks of the central pyrenees, craggy mountains of aragon, vineyards and
red earth of la rioja, and flat plains of cataluna.

'nough ranting,
ascher
      ascher@domain.elided