Re: How do I test the fuel pump on my 88 Spider?

Hi Kelly,

On the V6 cars the Fuel Pump is controlled by the double relay and air
flow meter.
But the Fuel Pump on the Bosch Injected Spiders is controlled two ways.
During starting, I think the  Fuel Pump is energized by the starter
relay.  While the car is running the fuel pump is controlled by larger
of two relays next to the Fuel Injection ECU and by the ECU itself.

The Fuel Pump receives signals from the ECU to run in tandem from
signals from the Coil. You can check this by taking the distributor out,
turn the key to on and manual spin the distributor shaft.  You should
here the pump energizing and the fuel injectors clicking.
I found this out by mistake trying diagnose another problem I had with
the Fuel injection.  If this does not happen make sure the ignition
system is working correctly by checking for spark.  If the distributor
never sends a signal to the coil and the coil never sends a spark to the
Spark Plugs then the ecu in turn will think the car is not running and
not send a signal to the fuel pump to start.  If I am wrong on the above
please let me know, I am still trying to figure this system out.

Sorry for the confusing explanation.

Also there is an inline fuse next to the ECU that needs to be checked.
Sometimes the plastic fuse holder melts and the current does not pass to
the Fuel Pump.  I replaced mine with a generic fuse blade type from Pep
Boys.

If you need anything just ask.

Ralph DeLauretis
Lawrenceville, NJ