how to test fuel pump

How do I test the fuel pump on my 88 Spider?

Here is what I have done so far, Is this correct?

1. Put key in ignition - turned to on posistion
2. move flapper valve in AFM to activate the pump
3. No voltage at pump.

I have no checked the relay yet because of something odd.  When I
checked the fuel pump, I placed a voltmeter between the two terminals.
I have no voltage, but I have continuity between the two terminals.
This isn't correct is it?  Or does this mean that something went bad
inside the pump?  If I check each of the terminals for continuity to
ground I find that each terminal independently has continuity.  Does
this sound like my pump is bad?

Sorry if this is simplistic, but I am still learning.

Thank you.
Kelly M,
88 Spider - hopefully running again soon.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1303