Lowering Alfetta rear end

OK another dumb question!!

I have at last found some wide tyres for "Alfie", my to be hillclimb Alfetta.  Found BF
Goodrich here in the local tyre dealer with 265/50/15 rims.  They fit fine with plenty of
clearance to the boot (trunk) sidewalls.  Now I need to pick a few brains.  It seems from
measurements made that I can lower the rear by about 85mm ( just over 3" for you
Imperialists!).  How does the uncompressed length of the rear springs translate into how
much I can cut off the springs to get the required ride height reduction.  I guess I can
figure it out when I remove the springs, but if someone has a magic formula it will save
some head scratching.

John Fielding

near Durban - South Africa

1985 Alfetta 1.8l +150kw motor with stage 2 cams
1998 Fiat Uno Turbo - aka Diabalo!