econobox ponderings/newbie (cheap) alfa ownership

hi all,

being the unfortunate victim of having someone run me-n-my shankle-ized 3.0
gtwe6 bastard off the road 3 weeks ago, i had the pleasure (?!?) to sample
*current-model* "bottom-feeders", while my poor gtwe6 was being made roadworthy
again. (the incident was *not* my fault, the guilty party's ins co *is* picking
up the tab - fortunately wery little damage to mr. funky & none to me, tho it
wooda been a *lot* different if i'd rolled him, which *almost* happened...)

anyway, here's one person's opinion as to the latest-n-greatest in the gnu-car
marketplace:

i picked up my "gnu" (20k miles) 1999 ford escort - a *complete* stripped-down
wersion, w/exception of the 2 rental-car-req'd options - a/t & a/c.  the factory
sticker confirmed this.  the factory sticker was also $13,500!  how fomoco ever
sold even *one* of these wehicles is beyond my comprehension - the car was
absolutely abominable!  horrible torque-steer (how can there be torque-steer w/o
any torque!?!)  the ride was absolutely awful - i was literally sea-sick
nauseous when i arrived at work the following morning, after i picked up the
car.  so, after calling the rental-car place, they told me they got one-o-dem
gnu ford foci (focuses?), & they'd be happy to exchange the escort for me.

when exchanging the escort, they said: "dint like the escort, eh?"  i replied
that "i only had *one* complementary thing to say about the escort - it's UGLY!"
they all laffed, & then asked if i'd like a free upgrade to an explorer or
blazer, instead of the focus.  i've never seen such shocked young
college-grad-types, when i said "no-way, i *can't stand* suv's!"  :>)  they
said, "jeez everyone *loves* 'em!  i told 'em i can't wait 'til gas costs
$5/gal, so they all disappear from the roadways!

anyway, focus now on the gnu ford focus:  this was equipped *exactly* like the
escort - *no* options except a/t & a/c.  (had 4.6 miles on the odo)  but what a
change!  this was actually a decent car!  brakes were outstanding - *if* ya dint
have two panic stops in succession - they were prone to fade.  acceleration was
mediocre, due, i'm sure, to the combination of the base (110hp) engine, mated to
the 4sp a/t.  but, i could still do back-road passing, and could even accelerate
going uphill at 75-80mph freeway speeds.  cruise 90 no problem.  the
ride/handling was actually *wery* nice.  oh yeah, no torque-steer, either.  car
*is* funny-looking, tho.  but not *ugly* like the latest escort iteration.
interior ergo's were quite good.  (i put ~1400 miles on the focus).  so, i
started thinkin':  "le'see, power mirrors/windows/doorlocks, 5-speed, upgrade
z-tec (130hp) engine, upgrade wheels/suspension...  mebbe i could *do* this -
get rid of the whale (164L) - i'd still have the milano-werde & the gtwe6 3.0, &
i'd have a *gnu* car, no reliability worries, cheap...  WAIT a minute here -
*cheap*... yust ezzackly what *does* this li'l baby *cost*???  ok, the sticker
in the glovebox sez this base-model with a/c & a/t is $14,200!!!  even deducting
$800 for the a/t, i can't see getting into one-o-these for <$15k!

so, (alfa-bill), yes, used 164/milano/gtwe6's *do* seem really cheap to me, even
if maintenance *is* more money than a gnu car.  or even if maintenance is more
than a comparably-priced used *japanese* car:  perhaps an $8500 camry *is* a
more reliable option than an alfa - but prolly not by a lot, & who here wants to
*drive* something like *that*?!?  and cost, when compared to a brand-gnu
bottom-feeder?  well, czech out this advert in the latest aroc, & *ewe* be the
judge:

1986 GTV 6, red with tan leather. 3.0 litre conversion, Colombo cams, modified
ECU, lowered, full suspension upgrade, braided brake hoses, cross drilled
rotors, Momo steering wheel and shift knob, 15x7.5 CEC wheels.  This car is a
perfect daily driver and will be missed. New project forces sale  $8,500. Todd
(973) 492-8144 or <alfetta95@domain.elided>. NJ

well, i got *my* gtwe6 back monday - yeehaaaa!

one person's opinion
dug "wish i could afford another gtwe6" sedon