[no subject]

Subject:	164 Sport suspension

In AD V7 #1297 John wrote:
- - - -
My suspension mode is now permanently "Sport" - anyone know where the
fuse is or other things that can cause it?
- - - -

If the SPORT mode is ON (that means that the green light in the switch IS
ON), then the fuse might be OK. I suggest to check the relay  - in my car it
is in the left-hand side of the trunk  ahead of the accumulator. You can
also check the mini panel with 4 buttons: fuel tank lid, all-blinkers, Auto
and Sport mode. It is simple to get it out, there are plastic teeth on upper
and bottom part of the panel, you have to squeeze it a little bit an pull it
out. From back side two 10- (or some) pin male connectors are connected to
female ones. And there are two short screws to hold housing together. By
unwinding them you gain access to small printed circuit board for checking
it out.

In my car the light indicating which mode the car is in would go out
occasionally. I found out that one of the pins in a connector was displaced
(forced back probably when putting the connectors together). I pushed the
pin forward on its place, joined the connectors, checked all the pins again
after assembly. After having checked the panel on-line, having it still out,
I simply placed the panel in the rectangular hole in dash-board and pushed
it gently into it until is would stuck in (you hear a "click").

What might happen as well, (theoretically but hardly likely) is that:
- - another component in automatic suspension system failed and
- - red bulb indicating error in the system is burned out.

In case suspension system detects an error (the error being in 90 % of cases
- - problem with electro-magnetic valve on suspension struts or electric
cables to it, again with a 90-% probability to be rear and only 10-% front)
the system puts the red light on (which you don't see if the bulb is burned)
and at the same time it puts the suspension system into default, i.e. SPORT
mode, and you can't switch to AUTO mode even by pressing the AUTO switch.

What happened to me last year was that after an accident ( a scooter
violated right of way in front of me) when replacing front right mudguard
the servicemen set the cable from the strut too loose, it was hanging over a
belt and eventually cut. I couldn't  switch from SPORT mode to AUTO either,
however having seen the red warning light I went to a service station (even
to two of them) to find out where the problem was. After fixing the cable
the problem disappeared.

John was very short in explaining circumstances of his troubles but I only
guess there is no warning about malfunction otherwise he would probably
mention it.

Anyway, John if you do need to know where the fuse is located, contact me by
e-mail, I shall find it out for you.

P.S.
To Digest coordinator:
I propose to reset Digest counters at turn-over of a year. The digest number
(nowadays 13th hundredth) is not absolute counter of issues since we already
have Volume 7 so it has no point of holding it so high.

Rajko Sabo, Slovenia
'90 164 QV Zender
'81 Renault 18 TL
Web: http://come.to/rajko.sabo.si <http://www.come.to/rajko.sabo.si>